Sheesh, it's been over a week since I posted anything. And I had been on such a roll. I spent the last week with my parents and brother's family on vacation and didn't get around to doing any posting.
While on vacation, I got the chance to read this book. I actually did read it, not listen to it. :) I have mixed feelings about it. One one hand, it was so captivating that I stayed up till 2:00 AM reading it, it was well written, it was interesting, it was honest, and it was hysterical. It had me laughing out loud multiple times.
On the other hand, it did absolutely no good for the LDS Church and it was extremely crass. Some people say that any press is good press, but that's not the case here. Elna Baker, a single Mormon in New York City, is burdened by the Church and its standards. She seems put out that she knows God exists because with that knowledge, her conscious doesn't allow her to go out and do whatever she wants, although she does at times anyway. She never mentions the good that comes from knowing God exists and following His commandments. She is also a little too honest. I would be horrified if I were her parents reading this book, which is probably why she apologized to them in the foreword of the book.
On another note, I told Brett about my new resolve to work out (i.e. to actually use the treadmill be bought me). He didn't believe that I would, so I have to prove him wrong of course. I better get to it while Jackson is sleeping.

Nice Job Baby!! Work It work it...
ReplyDeleteWay to go! I keep telling myself I will start working out tomorrow.... I need to get with it! :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete