We got the table pictured below from the as-is section at Ikea a while back for $15. I was debating getting rid of it because the corners are so sharp and I didn't want Jackson getting hurt on it. My friend Ashley gave me the great idea (she found here) of turning the coffee table into an ottoman, with soft corners and all.
Of course I enlisted Brett to help me with this project, which he wasn't too excited about. But, he headed over to Jo-Ann Fabrics with me anyway to pick out the fabric and pretty much did the rest of it himself. Thanks, Brett! You're the best!
The best part about it is that we only spent $8.36 for the whole project. Brett already had some padding that we used instead of foam, and the fabric was 50% off because we got the last yard.
Brett took apart the table, stapled the foam to the underside of the table top (using his staple gun), stretched the fabric over the foam and stapled it on, and then screwed the legs back on.
I love how it turned out. Brett was a little less enthusiastic. He says he feels like he ruined a perfectly good coffee table. (It's not quite as stable as it was. He kept saying that somebody is going to "Tommy Boy" it.) But, I think it's growing on him. Now I just need to find some coordinating fabrics to make new pillow shams.


Great job, Katie. And such quick turn-around! Didn't we just talk about this yesterday at lunch? And it's done, photographed, and posted already? I'm sorry Brett isn't a fan. I hope that the softness under his feet while he watches American Idol with this feet propped up helps win him over.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I was so excited about it that I got right on it. :) I think Brett really does like it now though.
ReplyDeleteWait wait wait, Are we going to put on the button in the middle?
ReplyDeleteAwesome, excellent colors :)
ReplyDeleteIt's too late for adding a button (tufting). Well too late unless you want to undo all that you just did. But there is a short-cut to the same effect: if you put your feet in the same spot over-and-over again, maybe you can make a nice dent that you could glue a button in.
ReplyDeleteHaha...I like your idea, Ashley!
ReplyDeleteVery cute Katie--glad to see you've joined the ranks of obessed crafters! It will be nice to have another one so close.
ReplyDeleteKatie your creativity never stops! You are truly amazing!!! What a great idea! And it turned out sooo cute!!!
ReplyDeleteI love that! Great idea again!!
ReplyDeleteWow, that is super creative and cute!
ReplyDelete