I always knew I wanted to have kids and I wanted to stay home to care for them. But, I wasn't married when I started law school and I wanted to pursue higher education. Plus, I wanted to be able to make a good living for myself, which I could have done with my undergrad degree, but law school sounded more fun at the time. When I got married one year into law school, I wasn't about to just drop out. I wanted to finish my education and I figured that kids would come later.
By the time I had graduated and taken the bar, I had been married for two years and I was ready to start my family. I practiced law for almost a year and then I had little Jackson. There was no going back to work full-time after that. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't stand to be away from him and he needed me. I never knew love at first sight until I met Jackson.
Long story short, now I'm stuck with pesky student loans without the lawyer's salary I thought I would have to get them paid off quickly. My sweet husband never even complains. Maybe it's because I tell him that my student loans are the price I had to pay in order to meet him. :) I never would have met him had I not decided to go to law school.
All that being said, I wouldn't change a thing if I had the chance. If I could rewind five years, I still would have gone to law school and I still would have made the decision to spend my time with my little boy afterwards. I know that's not the right choice for everyone, but it was for me. I know this time is fleeting and so precious, and I don't want to miss out. I'm so blessed that I get to stay home with Jackson, and someday, when Jackson's all grown-up, I'm sure I can raise that ROI. But, for now, the investment I care most about is the time I get to spend with my baby boy.



You've got a great perspective! And I don't believe I've ever heard Brett complain about your loans, either.
ReplyDeleteI think that is so awesome that you got your law degree! That is amazing and to be able to stay home with your sweet little boy. He is adorable. What an awesome achievement.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way about my loans, moving to CA, and meeting Jeff, although I am enjoying the ROI right now. ;) Love you!
ReplyDeleteI approve this message!!
ReplyDeleteOh and those are the cutest pictures I've ever seen of Jackin!!